Somebody decided the existing Winter Storm Warning (WSW) wasn’t good enough, so it was upgraded.
SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF SILVERTON, RICO, AND HESPERUS
..WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING
TO 5 AM MST SATURDAY…
* WHAT…MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS
OF 10 TO 18 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO 24 INCHES.
* WHERE…SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS.
* WHEN…FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 5 AM MST SATURDAY.
* IMPACTS…TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE
Here is the Avalanche watch
THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE
COLORADO AVALANCHE INFORMATION CENTER.
An Avalanche Watch is in effect for the CAIC South San Juan zone
* TIMING…Dangerous avalanche conditions are expected to develop
* AFFECTED AREA…San Juan Mountains, La Plata Mountains, Needle
Mountains, Grenadier Range
* AVALANCHE DANGER…The avalanche danger rating is expected to
reach HIGH (Level 4) on Friday.
* REASON…Heavy snowfall and strong winds will increase the
avalanche danger. Large avalanches will become very easy to
trigger. During periods of heavy snowfall avalanches will release
* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Travel in or under avalanche
terrain is not recommended on Friday as heavy snow accumulates.
Plan ahead for rapidly increasing avalanche danger.
Point forecasts are off the charts right now, I hope they are right! The new Euro is out contradicting everything the NWS is forecasting I hope it’s wrong. Either way, I will be up early to check it out!