Tuesday Afternoon Update: Too Big To Ignore!

10/20/26 Tuesday Noon

Morning models are slightly slowing the onset of heavy precipitation (again), as expected.

Overview

Nothing meaningful has changed; showers and storms will start moving into the area tomorrow. Heavy rain will develop later in the day/night and last through Friday or Sunday; it’s complicated, more on this in a moment.

Here are the latest precipitation forecast models through Friday night.

NBM

German

Canadian

European

GFS AI-  I fired the old original GFS. It is not dependable; it flip-flops all of the time and forecasts scenarios that could never happen with our terrain. I have been tracking the GFS AI for a while, and it is impressive. That’s the first time I have ever used the words GFS and Impressive together.

Time to revisit what I said earlier: “Heavy rain will develop later in the day/night and last through Friday or Sunday; it’s complicated”

That is an understatement. It’s also why I named this post “Too Big To Ignore!”

I have mentioned a couple of times that the Euro doesn’t stop raining on Friday; it continues through Sunday night/Monday morning. All of the other models are now on board with this solution. If this happens, I will have to update all of the flood areas; this could become a big problem. The maps I posted above are for precipitation through Friday night.

If I extend these models through Sunday night. Look at what it does to those totals:

German Model through Sunday night

Canadian Model through Sunday night

European Model through Sunday Night

GFS AI through Sunday night- that is a scary 10 inches of liquid at Wolf Creek Pass. Canadian showed 8.5 inches

To complicate things further, there is a slight chance we could see lower snow levels this weekend.

If you did not read my last update on current areas forecasted to have potential flooding issues, you can read it here: Tuesday Potential Flood Areas To Watch For Event

Venmo: @Jeff-Givens-11 

OR

Click here to DONATE with PayPal

Cash App users:  $JGDWG

ZELLE: jgivenscbr@gmail.com

Prefer to send a check? Click below to request instructions.

Click here to submit any question

Submit or search Precipitation Report

Tuesday Morning Update: Storm Extends Through Next Weekend??

10 20/26 Tuesday 4 am

What Changed Overnight

For the last week, the European has been showing “leftovers,” extending the rain into the weekend. They were the only model to do this. Guess what? All of the other models crowded into that same solution overnight. One or two more days of moderate rain would greatly increase the totals.

Most models add an extra 1 to 2 inches, on top of the already high projected totals. For now, I am going to set the weekend aside until I can determine what the models are trying to lock onto. In the back of your minds, you can add an extra inch or so to prepare/mentally prepare, if necessary.

Overview

Another day with very slight chances of rain this afternoon and evening; only light accumulations are expected. Last night, many areas picked up 0.10″ to 0.20″, slightly more than I expected. On Wednesday, widespread moderate rain should enter the area by noon.

Noon is 9 hours later than the models showed a couple of days ago. That is why I haven’t been married to start and stop times; this almost always happens with Southern California low-pressure systems. By the way, most of the time, delay = strengthening… 

Moderate rain enters the picture by noon on Wednesday; it will get progressively heavier as the day wears on. Moderate to occasionally heavy rain will continue for most of the night into Thursday. On Thursday heavy to very heavy rain will dominate the forecast for at least 24 to 36 hours. As far as we know…

I say that to remind everyone things are constantly evolving; more delays (an even later start on Wednesday) wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Here are the overnight weather models’ forecast for event precipitation through Friday afternoon (only).

NBM (NOAA): This usually conservative model continues to spread high totals across the entire forecast area. It is the only model (so far) that has not bought off on the weekend rains. As soon as it does, I’ll be all in. If I had to bet, I would say we will see that happen by later today.

European

German

Canadian

I will be back between 1 and 4 pm today. Please check it out in case there are changes.

Venmo: @Jeff-Givens-11 

OR

Click here to DONATE with PayPal

Cash App users:  $JGDWG

ZELLE: jgivenscbr@gmail.com

Prefer to send a check? Click below to request instructions.

Click here to submit any question

Submit or search Precipitation Report